Monday 4 April 2011

Grade 1: Lesson 1, (high school) - Introductory Lesson

Now that I have the whole separate blog thing figured out this should become a lot simpler...i hope! :) 
This is the first lesson I did with my newbies, the little rookies of my school her in Korea.
I was asked to do an introductory lesson, about who I am and where i come from.  Having taught in Korea before i know just how fascinated students can be when you tell them you come from somewhere in AFRICA! hahaha
Basic Lesson Plan:
All the lessons are 50 minutes long.
For this lesson (and I use them for 99% of my other lessons) I made a PowerPoint presentation about my me, my family and my country (South Africa).  This was made a while ago before I was totally fluent on MS PowerPoint, so the presentation is not the lesson in it's entirety.  It was punctuated with YouTube video clips, music, the passing around of South African money, direct comparisons between the two countries and numerous attempts by students to blow on a Vuvuzella, and even some tribal language lessons.  At the end of the presentation there was some Question and Answer time, followed by the CLASSROOM RULES.  
When we were all happy and had agreed upon the rules and regulations that everybody was to abide by, they received a worksheet with a very simple instruction.  They were to only fill in the first row in that lesson.  It was personal information under 4 different columns.  
Name:  Hobbies/Interests:  Something unique:  Favourite (YES, i use British English hahahaha) 

They were allowed to write only their names in Korean, and the rest was to be completed in full English sentences.  They could be as creative with their answers as they liked, in fact  it was encouraged. 
They had to complete their own information only, and would have time in lesson 2 to complete the rest of the table.

No comments:

Post a Comment